Oracle9i’s principle-based approach, the principles for Tuning, in order of priority, are:
- Define the problem clearly and then formulate a tuning goal.
- Examine the host system and gather Oracle statistics.
- Compare the identified problem to the common performance problems identified by Oracle in the Oracle9i Database Performance Methods (Release 1)/Database Performance Planning (Release 2).
- Use the statistics gathered in the second step to get a conceptual picture of what might be happening on the system.
- Identify the changes to be made and then implement those changes.
- Determine whether the objectives identified in step one have been met. If they have, stop tuning. If not, repeat steps five and six until the tuning goal is met.
Read more here.